Sunday, August 23, 2026

22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time


Our readings for the 22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time are:
  1. Jeremiah 20: 7-9
  2. Psalms 63: 2, 3-4, 5-6, 8-9
  3. Romans 12: 1-2
  4. Matthew 16: 21-27
                • Savoring the surprises
                  • Most of us don't like surprises.  We like to feel that a) we're smart enough to see what's coming, and b) we have some small measure of control in our lives.  Too bad.
                  • What are some of the most delightful surprises that have come along in your life?
                  • How did one or more of those change you?
                  • What did you have to go through in order to really see that as a blessing?
                  • If you had the ability to talk to your younger self from that time, what would you tell them?
                  • When was the last time that you thanked God for that surprise? 
                • Gazing on God
                  • As Catholics, we benefit from the Presence in the Eucharist that we can gaze upon with our own eyes.  But there are many other times and places where God is Present and awaits our gaze, our intentional concentration on Him and Him alone, even if for just a few minutes.
                  • Have you ever felt as though you're seeing God's face in the eyes of a loved one?
                  • Have you ever heard His voice in the laughter of children, or the elderly?
                  • Has He ever spoken to you in a soft breeze or the sounds of falling water in the woods?
                  • Have you ever wondered at the fact that God wishes to gaze upon you far more than you desire to gaze on Him?
                  • When God gazes at you, what facial expression do you think that He's wearing? 
                • Offering my body
                  • It's common for Christians to view our flesh as some sort of burden that we carry around, hoping that it will not get us into too much trouble in this life, knowing that we will shed it in death and be freed from its limitations.  But maybe there's more to it than that.
                  • Have you ever suffered from "heart ache", a heaviness or pain in your body that just would not go away?
                  • Did you try to "power through it", or were you able to take some time, sit with that feeling, and let it speak to you?
                  • What did you discover in that conversation?
                  • Where was God in that conversation?
                  • Where was your body in that dialogue? 
                • I'm here for you
                  • Sometimes, there just isn't much that we can do that will "make it all better" for someone else, or even ourselves.  But we can, in one way or another, accompany another person on their journey.
                  • Think of someone who turned to you in a time of real need.
                  • What were you able to do for them?  Perhaps you were their extraordinary Eucharistic minister, you brought food to them, washed their car, ...
                  • Out of all that you did for them, what do you think maybe made the biggest difference in their lives at that time?
                  • Do you think that Jesus could ever use a companion?
                  • How would you help? 
                • Preparation for Reconciliation
                  • Where might God be calling me into deeper trust?
                  • How is my prayer life these days?
                  • Am I willing to learn to listen to my body, my intuition, for the wisdom that it has for me?
                  • Where might God be calling me into a deeper partnership with Him?
                Lost
                 
                Jesus seems beyond committed to this path of destruction.
                Past the point of mere acceptance.
                He's somehow found His way to embracing this future.
                And then what?  What of us, His followers?
                 
                I don't think that I'm worthy to follow in His footsteps.
                If I'm honest, it's more that I lack the courage.
                Leaving behind every last shred of respectability.
                Boldly stepping into totally unfamiliar territory.
                 
                The rest of the disciples don't seem very sure either.
                Their furtive looks, the strained expressions that they turn on me.
                Tell me that they are waiting for some sign from me -
                Some leading to tell them how to respond.
                 
                As much for my sake as for theirs, and Jesus'
                I tried to quietly reason with Him.
                Remind him what such shame would bring to Him.
                Not to mention all of us in His company.
                 
                That didn't go so well, and now -
                Now I have no plan B, no alternative through this.
                I considered leaving Him.
                But I can no more leave than I can stay.
                 
                If I'm to be a leader of this dispirited tribe -
                I'm going to need some leading myself.
                A light ahead of me to show me the way -
                Through this dark night that we're plunged into.
                 
                All that I can think to do is to stay with Him.
                Savor the moments that we still have -
                However few they may be.
                And count on God to make sense of this madness.
                 
                Shalom!

                No comments:

                Post a Comment